Tuesday, November 28, 2006

1501ART - Tutorial Task Eight

Advanced Word techniques
For the tutorial task today we have been asked to complete an excercise on microsoft word. The exercise involves merging fields. After we have completed the task we are to write a little bit in our weblog about the experience in completing this task. So here is the task completed:
Mr James Peterson
Media House
200 Job Lane Southport
Gold Coast QLD
4218 Australia

Dear, Mr James Peterson

I am writing to apply for a position within your company Media House. I have recently completed a Journalism and Communication degree at Griffith University on the Gold Coast and believe that I have the suitable skills and experiences to be a valuable asset to Media House. During this degree I have completed subjects in:
· New Communication technologies,
· Cyber Studies
· Digital Production
· News and Politics
· Culture
· Media and Society
· Creative Writing.
Please find attached a copy of my resume. Should you need and further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
Emily Creswick

In this exercise we are were to add:

  • Opening a Document
  • Typing
  • Bold Font
  • Italic Font
  • Underline Font
  • Bulleting
  • Headers
  • Footers
  • Double Spacing

All of these tasked I had no problem with, because I all of them probably everytime I have used Microsoft word

The advanced exercise asked us to add:

  • Track Changes
  • Mail merging
  • Mail merge toolbar

Now I had no idea what merging fields was before this exercise, but it proved very helpful in the completion. It was pretty simple to use, I didnt really use the intructions but more or less went searching in the word menus to find what the instructions were talking about. The merging wizard allowed me to add data about a person, their name, personal details, address etc, to which I then added into the edited document by Merging. Pretty cool. Though I dont know, I might prefer just typing it using tabs, its just the way I have always done it. But yeah, I am appreciative of being tought how to use this. The funny thing is, my boyfriend just had a job interview for an admin job, and he was asked to complete the same task, yet he knew nothing of this merging in word, and told me that he was totally stumped and was pretty sure he failed the task. Its strange because he is awsome on computers, and the smallest things might stump someone.

No comments: