Tuesday, November 21, 2006

1501ART Tutorial Task Three Summary

As I slept in this morning and woke up and 9 (the time i usually have to leave my house to make it to uni on time) I missed half of the lecture. So as I walked into the lecture this morning, i felt abit taken back as to what Adam was talking about. From my understanding, Adam was talking about new media and internet studies. I tried taking notes but half way through I didnt really see the point in taking notes for something I had no prior knowledge of. So I am reading the lecture notes on the internet, and then summarise these notes so I can understand them.

Some key terms I feel I should know include:

Media:
Media is the plural word for Medium. The term medium is used in conjunction with a medium of communication. Raymond Williams states that media can refer to "sense of an intervening or intermediating agency or substance"

Mass Media:
Mass media is a term used to denote, as a class, that section of the media specifically conceived and designed to reach a very large audience. This type of media can be linked with all different kinda of communication devices such as televisions and internet.

Technology:
Technology is the scientific study of mechanical arts and their application to the world, a medium is the specific cultural use of technology, to communicate information... that is interpreted as meanings thanks to specific cultural and social contexts that we encounter in our daily lives

Broadcast Media:
Media in the forms of newspapers, cinema, radio, and television

No comments: